Sign up for garden waste collections
Garden waste collections run from April to November in 2020. The last date to subscribe to the 2020 scheme is 1 September 2020.
Our garden waste scheme is now collecting on Saturdays (was Tuesday or Wednesday) and Mondays (was Thursday or Friday) from Saturday 2 May.
This is so that we can ensure rubbish and recycling collections continue throughout the coronavirus outbreak. If you have already signed up, we will contact you with more information. Dates are also available on MyDurham. See Changes to the garden waste scheme for more information.
This is so that we can ensure rubbish and recycling collections continue throughout the coronavirus outbreak.
If you have already signed up, we will contact you with more information. Dates are also available on MyDurham.
See Changes to the garden waste scheme for more information.
If you signed up in 2019 for one year, you need to sign up for collections for 2020.
The cost of subscribing this year is £35 for the collection of one garden waste bin. If you want extra bins, you also need to pay for them and the collection of them.
If you have signed up for three years, you will not have to do anything for the 2020 scheme - we will send you a calendar and sticker before the scheme starts. Please make sure you have read this year's Garden waste terms and conditions.
If you have not signed up before, you need to check if your home is eligible - the map shows the area covered by the service. In the Teesdale area, garden waste is collected by Teesdale Conservation Volunteers (Rotters).
Within the collection area, there are criteria that homes must meet to receive collections. The home must:
- be easily and safely accessible by the refuse lorry
- have a garden in the collection area
- have a garden waste bin on the property
- be on a road that we maintain (an adopted road)
The cost is for the collection of one garden waste bin. If your property has not previously received the garden waste collection service and you do not have a garden waste bin, we will provide your first bin free of charge. If you would like more than one garden waste bin, each additional bin will cost £20. You will also need to pay to have each additional bin emptied.
Stickers, calendars and letters
Once you've subscribed, we'll send you:
- a sticker (to prove you have paid for the service this year) - write your address on the self-adhesive bin sticker and fix it to the bin, directly underneath the handle. If your sticker gets damaged or lost, we'll replace it free of charge. Just fill in our garden waste feedback form or contact us for a replacement.
- a collection calendar. It will also tells you what you can put in the garden waste bin. Your collection day may change between years, and be on a different day from your rubbish and recycling collections. You can also look up your collection days in our My Durham section.
- bins if you have ordered new or extra ones
If you do not receive a calendar, sticker or bin, have lost your letter with the reference number on, or have any other general problems, you can report this using the garden waste enquiry form.
- Garden waste
- Garden waste
- 03000 261 000
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ