Adult learning courses
Find out what's available from our adult learning courses.
We are currently unable to offer you classroom-based learning, but we can offer online and distance learning alternatives to some of our courses, provided you have access to a mobile device, tablet or laptop and have an internet connection. This includes our commissioned delivery via sub-contractors.
English and maths
If you need to develop your maths and English skills whilst supporting your children's school work at home, or if you are considering a career change or updating your qualifications, you can study maths and/or English courses with us via a distance learning model.
You will get a mixture of on-screen tutorials and access to online learning programmes, along with regular support from a tutor. More information can be found at:
Please contact us for further information.
Computing and digital skills
We can offer a variety of digital skills courses through distance learning provided you have access to a mobile device, tablet or laptop and have an internet connection. The types of courses we can offer are:
- Basic Digital Skills -how to use the internet including online searches, basic email, using Windows, how to create a CV
- Technology Safety - including learning about scams, computer viruses and how to stay safe online and offline
- Using Office - from MS Word to Spreadsheets
- Creative Technology - Using sites such as Pixlr or Canva to create images, posters, etc
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles for Digital Skills
- Level 2 Certificate in IT User Skills (ITQ)
The length of these courses varies but will be between 6 and 12 weeks with weekly tutor contact to see how you are progressing. Feedback and any assessment will be carried out remotely.
Please contact us for further information.
If you would like to try out some maths, English or ICT, or you are currently studying and need some extra support, we have selected some useful websites for you:
Distance learning provides you with the flexibility to complete the course in your own time with all learning taking place remotely either by post, email or telephone.
Our courses help you get fully accredited qualifications in many different subjects from the comfort of your own home or workplace.
These distance learning courses are suitable for everybody and are ideal for keeping you up to date with current working practices, legislation and to reduce any skill gaps.
Adult social care
We are currently offering courses with a strong focus on supporting adults to find work and develop skills in health care. Many courses are fully funded, meaning they're totally free.
- Level 1 Award in the Introduction to Health, Social Care and Children's and Young People's Settings
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition
- Level 2 Common Health Conditions
- Level 2 Certificate in the Care and Management of Diabetes
- Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia
- Level 2 Certificate in Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Behaviour that Challenges
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of End of Life Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Equality and Diversity
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of working with Learning Disabilities
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Dignity and Safeguarding in Adult Health & Social Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Care and Management of Diabetes
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Safeguarding and Prevent Duty
- Level 2 Certificate in the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
- Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Care Planning
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of the Prevention and Control of Infection and Control of Infection in Healthcare Settings
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Dementia Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Information, Advice or Guidance
- Level 2 Certificate in Fall Prevention Awareness
- Level 2 Certificate in Customer Service for Health and Social Care Settings
- Routeway into Adult Social Care - Care Certificate and Food Safety Awareness
For more information on these distance learning courses please access County Durham Adult Learning and Skills Service: The Skills Network where you will find course overviews and demos on how to use the online platform.