Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Special educational needs in schools

Some children require extra help at school. This is defined as special educational needs (SEN) and schools take account of this when they plan their work.

What are Special Educational Needs?

A few pupils need special or different arrangements, sometimes just for a short time, sometimes for the whole of their school life. Pupils who need this extra help have special educational needs. 

What services do we provide to support SEN?

We offer a range of support services to help children with SEN and their parents and carers. Information is now available in one place as our Local Offer.

SEND and Inclusion course directory

Our courses are mainly for school staff but parents, child care providers, health workers can also book onto these courses if appropriate.

What is the Local Offer?

Our Local Offer information has been developed, in line with government legislation, to allow parents, carers and young people to see more clearly what services are available locally to meet their educational needs and/or disabilities from birth to the age of 25.

Contact us
SEND, Looked After and Vulnerable Groups Casework Team
03000 265 878
Our address is:
  • Children and Young People's Services
  • County Hall
  • Durham
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH1 5UJ
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page