Additional traffic management measures in the city
As well as the diversion around New Elvet Bridge, there are changes in place to control traffic safely through the city centre while the bridge is closed.
- Bus gate at Quarryheads roundabout
- Old Elvet Bridge
- No right turn into Allergate
- Bus routes (including Park and Ride)
- Additional measures to keep traffic moving through the city
A bus gate at the Quarryheads roundabout will be installed to help maintain a reliable public transport service and reduce congestion at the Margery Lane / A690 / Crossgate traffic lights.
Traffic exiting the roundabout in a northerly direction towards Margery Lane will be restricted to buses, taxis, cyclists and authorised vehicles only.
If you live in the area between the bus gate at Quarryheads roundabout and Crossgate traffic signals contact Parking Services to check if you are eligible for an exemption from the bus gate restriction and to register your vehicle.
For more information see Bus lanes, bus gates and bus-only streets.
Bus gate alternative route
- At the bus gate only buses, taxis, cycles and authorised vehicles will be able to access Quarryheads lane
- All other vehicles should take the junction before Quarryheads Lane onto Potters Bank
- Continue along Potters Bank until you reach the junction with the A167
- Turn right and follow the A167 to Neville's Cross
- At Neville's Cross turn right onto the A690 Crossgate Peth
- Continue on the A690 until the traffic lights where you can either continue your journey or turn right to access the area around Quarryheads lane affected by the bus gate
To help the emergency services, which may need to use Old Elvet Bridge to get around the city, we are making changes to the hours where other vehicles can use the bridge to make deliveries etc.
The hours will reduce from 6.00pm until 11.00am to the new access times 500am until 10.00am and 6.00pm until 10.00pm.
Travelling from Neville's Cross
- Take the A690 Crossgate Peth heading east
- Continue on the A690 as it bears left at the traffic lights onto Alexandria Crescent
- Continue on the A690 until North Road roundabout
- At the roundabout take the fifth exit back onto the A690 heading west
- Take the first turning on the left into Allergate
There are changes to some bus routes, including our Howlands Farm Park and Ride service - for more information see Bus service changes (including Park and Ride) for New Elvet Bridge works
If you are walking or cycling through the city, a section of footpath 78 and cycleway NCN14 will be closed. Information for walkers and cyclists during New Elvet works details the sections closed and relevant diversion information.
We are also implementing other measures to help keep traffic moving through the city, including improvements to road markings, suspension of some parking bays and changing traffic signal timings.