Complaints about councillors
The Standards Committee can only deal with complaints about the behaviour of a Durham County councillor or a town/parish councillor within County Durham.
Making a complaint
Before you make a complaint, it is important that you download and read our procedure:
Complaints to the Standards Committee must be in writing, as stated in the procedure. Please remember you need to tell us who the complaint is about and explain the reasons why you think they have not followed the Code of Conduct. Details of where to send your form back to are included on the form.
It is important to note that standards committees will not look at complaints that are about:
- people employed by the council
- incidents that happened before a councillor was elected or chosen to serve
- the way the council conducts or records its meeting
- the way the council has or has not done something. This may be a matter for the Local Government Ombudsman if the council has not dealt with the matter properly and it has not been resolved locally
- decisions of the council or one of the services it provides