Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

The leaders of the seven local councils, the North of Tyne Mayor and Northumbria's Police and Crime Commissioner encourage people to work together to move out of Tier 3 as quickly and as safely as possible.

Planning advice and enquiries

Check if you need planning permission for the work you want to do before you submit an application. Find out about our pre-application advice services.

Do I permission?

If you're thinking of doing any improvement works to your property, garden or surroundings find out if you need planning permission at  Planning Portal: do you need permission?

Need advice?

If you need planning permission, or believe you do, we offer a high-quality pre-application service offering professional advice on the likely acceptability of development proposals, including whether planning permission is required or not.

Apply for pre-application advice

Why choose our pre-application service?

Our pre-application service will help you find out if your proposal is likely to be acceptable without the expense of making a formal planning application.

If we feel we couldn't support a subsequent application, we will tell you why and outline any solutions or recommendations to overcome our concerns.

How to obtain pre-application advice

Pre-application enquiries should be submitted electronically at Apply for pre-application advice. Advice for most forms of development can be sought either in outline or in full.

Outline advice simply advises whether the proposal is acceptable in principle. The target for a response is 28 days.

Full advice provides detailed analysis of all the key planning issues. This will be provided after consultation with a range of consultees. In addition, we will also advise on validation requirements, Section 106 Obligations and, EIA Screening and Scoping Opinions. The target for a response is 42 days.

Strategic development projects

For strategic development projects, a bespoke pre-application service will be provided, with the scope and timescales agreed with the customer as appropriate to a particular project.

Householder service

This service advises if planning permission and/or building regulations approval is required and whether a proposal would be acceptable. The target for a response is 21 days.

Minerals and waste proposals

Due to the complexity of such proposals it is often not possible to assess all the likely planning and environmental issues within a relatively short period of time.  As such, separate timescales will be agreed on a case by case basis.

What happens following submission?

Upon receipt of your enquiry, it will be acknowledged and given a unique reference. The acknowledgement will inform you of the date by which you can expect to receive a response and the name and contact details of the case officer who will be dealing with your enquiry.

Pre-application fees

Development typeOutline adviceFull Advice
Strategic developments
Dwellings (100 or more/3 ha or more),£600£2,500
Office/Industrial development  (>10,000sqm or >2ha)£600£2,500
Retail development (>2,500sqm)£600£2,500
All other strategic developments (>10,000sqm or >2ha)£600£2,500
Minerals and Waste (where site area exceeds 15ha or in relation to waste proposals where annual throughput exceeds 50,000 tonnes)N/A£2,500
Major developments
Dwellings (10-99/0.5 ha to 3ha)£350£1,250
Offices/industrial development (1,000sqm - 9,999sqm/1ha to 2ha)£350£1,250
Retail development (1,000 - 2,499sqm)£350£1,250
All other major developments (1,000sqm - 9,999sqm/1ha - 2ha)£350£1,250
Minerals and Waste (site area between 1ha and 15ha, and all waste proposals where annual throughput would not exceed 50,000 tonnes)N/A£1,250
Minor developments
Dwellings (1-9/less than 0.5 ha)£100£200
Offices/industrial development (< 1000 or 1ha)FREEFREE
Retail development (<1,00sqm)FREEFREE
All other minor developments (< 1000 or 1ha)£100£200
Other developments (full advice service only)
Change of Use£50
Householder developments£30
Advertisements displayed or directional to a business premises located in County DurhamFree
Other advertisements / hoardings£75
Listed building consents Free
Telecommunications & others£200
Wind Turbine Development£200 per turbine
Other advisory services
General minor non-householder 'Do I Require Planning Permission?' letter£30
Letters to confirm Officer view regarding compliance with conditions, or a Section 106 Agreement or lawfulness of activity£100
Contact us
03000 262 830
Our address is:
  • County Hall
  • Durham
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH1 5UL
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page