'Waste less, Save more' campaign
Find out about a partnership campaign to reduce your food waste and save you money.
We are working with The Durham Food Partnership, Durham University, REfUSE - Durham's branch of the Real Junk Food Project to deliver Sainsbury's Waste less, Save more food waste campaign in County Durham.
What does the campaign involve?
The 12-month project will provide fun, engaging and interactive activities to encourage positive behavioural change towards food waste.
Information and advice will help you to make the most of your food, reuse items or think differently about the products you buy to 'waste less and save more'.
Local businesses across the county will be offered the opportunity to donate any unwanted food to local community projects, as well as getting involved in a range of schemes including:
- recruiting Food Saver Champions to spread the word about reducing food waste
- inviting families to take part in the Zero Waste Kitchen Challenge
- installing three community fridges, where people can donate their leftovers to be used by others
- distributing 'Waste less, Save more' welcome packs to Durham University students
- promoting the free food sharing app: Olio
- organising three 'Feed the 1,000' events to give away meals using food that would otherwise have been thrown away
How is the project being funded?
The County Durham Food Partnership has been chosen as a 'Discovery Community' by Sainsbury's to receive £35,600 worth of funding to deliver the campaign in County Durham.
How can I get involved/attend events?
The following events are taking place:
- 27 May: Feeding 1'000 at Durham Pride. 1.00pm to 6.00pm. The Sands, Durham City.
Follow us at Recycle for County Durham on Facebook to keep up-to-date.