Looking after your health (care leavers)
We can support you to stay healthy.
- give you information on healthy living
- support you to register with a GP, dentist and optician
- give you information on getting help to pay for prescriptions
- give you help with transport costs when attending health appointments
- if you are a young parent, we will support you to do the best for them - we will help you arrange childcare, if this is what you want
- give you information about health drop-in centres
- work with you to develop a 'health passport' containing key information from your childhood (for example, when and if you have had immunisations) and your current health needs
- help you to apply for a Freedom Card from Durham's Children in Care Council which is a leisure and activity pass
Support from The Healthy Child Service
We can put you in touch with The Healthy Child Service who can give you lots of advice and support to stay healthy. They can visit you at school, college, in your home or somewhere else if you would feel more comfortable.
- They'll help you to find and register with a doctor, dentist, sexual health clinic.
- They have staff who specialise in healthy weight, emotional health and stopping smoking.
- They can help you to understand any health conditions and medicines.