Bariatric Moving and Handling (full day)
Moving and handling plus size or bariatric people is an increasingly challenging area for staff working within the health and social care sectors. Delivered in partnership with Well Handled Ltd this course will provide knowledge and skills to work with and support the plus size bariatric person.
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for anyone who works in Health and Social Care, especially who provide hands on care to plus size users and patients in all care settings. This course is only open to people who work for an employer commissioned by Durham County Council.
This course combines theory as well as practical classroom training. The theory element covers all aspects of health and safety and manual handling legislation and elements of looking after yourself physically when undertaking moving and handling as part of care practice. The practical training will explore various types of equipment to successfully support the moving and handling needs of the plus size person and explore the challenges faced by bariatric clients. You will have the opportunity to experience first-hand the bariatric empathy suit and take part in practical elements of training.
There is a short test at the end of the session.
What you will learn
By completing this course, you will learn
- A comprehensive range of theory and practical skills when working with bariatric clients
- How to support and promote independence of plus size clients
- Explore in depth challenges faced by bariatric clients
- Manual handling legislation
- Different types of equipment to support moving and handling and the needs of the plus size person
- Have a better understanding of equipment and techniques to help reduce the risks to clients and staff when undertaking manual handling tasks of plus size or bariatric people.
- Be able to support bariatric clients maintain independence of mobility and personal tasks.
- Understand the principles behind effective risk assessing of manual handling activities for the larger or bariatric person.
- Have a greater understanding of bariatric equipment and its effective use.
- Transferable practical skills that can be developed to meet the needs of a variety of health and social care environments.
Course dates and times
Currently no training dates are planned.
How to book
If you require this training, please express an interest and we will notify you if any future dates are planned.
Please contact us.
- Care Academy
- 03000 260 222