Dementia Moving and Handling
This course is designed for all those working within health and social care and provide hands on care to service users and patients with dementia in all care settings and provides knowledge and skills that are transferable across services.
This course is only open to people who work for an employer commissioned by Durham County Council.
The course is a mix of both elearning and hands on practical based learning. The elearning element covers all aspects of health and safety and manual handling legislation and elements of looking after yourself physically when undertaking moving and handling as part of care practice.
There is a short test to accompany the elearning elements.
This course aims to provide support, advice and practical solutions in relation to the safer moving and handling of people with dementia in all settings. All practical elements of training will be held in a training room setting with a range of equipment to practice with. Moving and handling people with dementia offers attendees a greater understanding of differing types of dementia and the effects upon the individual physically, mentally and behaviourally and provides staff with the skills to be able to work effectively and safely with individuals in relation to their moving and handling and mobility needs. The course will explore the importance of verbal and non-verbal communication in relationship to moving and handling, specific equipment choices in relation to individual client needs and provide attendees with a unique dementia experience as part of the course.
- Gain skills and knowledge in relation to safer working practice.
- Have a better understanding of equipment and techniques to help reduce the risks to clients and staff when undertaking manual handling tasks.
- Have a greater understanding of types of dementia and the effects upon the individual.
- The importance of promoting independence of people with dementia.
- Understand the principles behind effective risk assessing of manual handling activities for individuals with dementia.
- Gain a greater understanding of the importance of verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Take part in the dementia experience as part of the course.
- Transferable practical skills that can be developed to meet the needs of a variety of health and social care environments.
Dates to be confirmed.
How to book
To book this course, please contact us.
- Care Academy
- 03000 260 222