Free swimming during the school holidays
We are offering free swimming for young people aged 18 years and under during the school holidays.
Families across County Durham can enjoy free travel for children on buses this summer, throughout the school holidays.
Children and young people aged 18 years and under can attend any of our general swim, inflatable and fun sessions free of charge. Splashability sessions are also available free for children, young people and adults who have a disability.
Please note that inflatable sessions are suitable for children aged eight and over who can swim 25 metres (we may ask children to demonstrate they can swim before allowing entry onto the inflatable). The inflatable sessions at Freeman's Quay, The Louisa Centre, Newton Aycliffe, Teesdale and Woodhouse Close Leisure Complex can allow children under eight years on the inflatable as long as a responsible adult is in the pool and the child can swim 25 meters.
Sessions are available at Chester-le-Street pool timetable, Consett pool timetable, Freeman's Quay pool timetable, The Louisa Centre pool timetable, Newton Aycliffe pool timetable, Peterlee pool timetable, Spennymoor pool timetable, Teesdale pool timetable, Wolsingham pool timetable and Woodhouse Close pool timetable, please see your local pool timetable for dates and times.
Adults who qualify for a concessional rate can also swim free if your child is a non swimmer and needs support in the pool. View Leisure centre pricing guide for concessionary information.
Apply for a free Thrive card for your child before visiting for your free swim.
Fun and Food
The free fun and inflatable sessions also include healthy food (except Spennymoor) as part of the Fun and food programme of holiday activities.
Your child will need access to a free concessionary Thrive card to access the swimming sessions. You can apply for online and pick up your card when you visit for your session. You will only need to apply once for a Thrive card. If you applied in the summer holidays your card will still be valid.
Terms and Conditions
- Free swimming is available to people 18 years and under and parents/ carers on concessions. It is only free to the adult concession if they are supervising a child/children.
- Only one session per day per person.
- Normal pool admission and supervision policy applies.
- Free swimming is available from Saturday 23 July until Sunday 4 September 2022 (excluding Bank holidays).
- Offer is available at the following Durham County Council pools: Peterlee, Spennymoor, Newton Aycliffe, Woodhouse Close, Teesdale, Freeman's Quay, Chester le street, Wolsingham, The Louisa Centre, Consett and Spennymoor Leisure Centre.
- Offer only applicable for general swim, fun sessions, inflatable sessions in both the main and small pool.
- Excludes lane swims.
- Free thrive cards given to all concessions.
- No bookings are necessary, first come first served at the pools.
- No cash alternative is available.
- Not available on Bank Holidays
- Free swimming is available to County Durham residents only.