We provide the majority of council services in County Durham. Find out more information about us and the services we deliver.
To deliver our services, there are five service areas:
- Adult and Health Services
- Children and Young People's Services
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Transformation and Partnerships
Our services range from teaching young people to caring for our older residents; from lending the latest best sellers to protecting 900-year-old documents; from fixing road bridges to creating bridges in our communities; from helping children to swim to helping adults into work; from planting trees in nature reserves to recycling paper from our homes. In fact, any local service you can think of, we probably have a hand in it somewhere.
We have a budget of around £1.3billion, which helps us provide services for more than 513,000 people. We have over 18,000 staff, 39 libraries, 10 leisure centres, six swimming pools, 15 children's centres and 10 hubs, 78,000 street lights and 270 schools.
Our senior management team is:
- Terry Collins - Chief Executive
- Ian Thompson - Corporate Director of Regeneration and Local Services
- Jane Robinson - Corporate Director of Adult and Health Services
- John Hewitt - Corporate Director of Resources
- Lorraine O'Donnell - Corporate Director of Transformation and Partnerships
- Margaret Whellans - Corporate Director of Children and Young People's Services