Primary Authority Partnerships with us
The Primary Authority partnership provides a framework for you to access assured, reliable advice covering the main regulations around environmental health, trading standards and licensing regulations. It is a scheme enabling a business to form a legal partnership with us that's approved by the Secretary of State.
Who can apply
- any business, charity or other organisation may be eligible
- the size of your business does not matter
- it does not matter if your business is in the early stages of development or just starting up
- you may trade across many council boundaries or just inside one - it does not matter if your business trades or is based outside the County Durham area
Who you can partner with
There are two options:
- direct partnership - your business can form a partnership with just us
- co-ordinated partnership - your business may belong to a trade association or other business group - see Gov.uk: Primary Authority: a guide for businesses with a co-ordinated primary authority
More information is available at Gov.uk: local regulation - primary authorities.
Working in partnership with us
If you choose us as your partner, we will offer you consistent, reliable advice and an accurate interpretation of the law from one source. We will also co-ordinate enquiries from other councils and regulators, and speak to them on your behalf.
Benefits for your business
We can advise you on what is absolutely necessary to comply with the law - saving you time and money. Providing your business follows our advice, this will:
- ensure you are doing the right things
- offer protection from legal action from another council or regulator
- improve your compliance standards, improving your business reputation
We can also:
- deliver training
- review your policies and procedures
- audit your business systems
- audit your business on compliance
The charge for 2023/24 is £85 per hour with an initial set up fee for preparation (this includes meetings and administration as part of formalising the partnership). You can choose to pay by pay as you go (PAYG), advance purchase of an agreed number of hours or annual purchase of an agreed number of hours.
All prices are reviewed annually. The minimum charge is half an hour, regardless of whether the full half hour is used.
Please contact us for an informal chat about Primary Authority partnerships.
- Primary Authority
- 03000 261 016