Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

I have received notice from my landlord

If you rent your home privately, your landlord must give you notice for you to leave. Illegal eviction is a criminal offence.

Contact us for housing advice by phone - call 03000 268 000 - or by email At this time we're not able to provide advice face to face.

Complete our online form to tell us you are at risk of becoming homeless or contact us as soon as possible, if you feel that you are at risk.

If your landlord tries to remove you from your home, contact the police on 101.

If your landlord wants you to leave without giving you a reason, they must:

Tell your landlord that a notice is required if they want you to leave. Your landlord cannot force you to leave your home without giving you notice. It is an offence under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 to remove you from your home without a court order.

We can support you and your landlord

Tell your landlord that we can offer any support to help resolve the situation and try to help you stay in the property - contact us.

Already issued with a notice?

If you have already been issued with a notice, contact us as soon as possible. See our Get help to avoid becoming homeless page for more information.

Contact us
Housing Advice Line
03000 268 000