Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

I am being harassed by a neighbour or landlord

Harassment is a criminal offence. Find out how we can help you if you are being harassed by your neighbour or landlord.

You may find yourself at risk of being homeless for many reasons. Do not wait until you become homeless tell us you are at risk of becoming homeless.

If you need somewhere to sleep tonight contact us on 08081 968 406 or email

If you believe you are being harassed, contact the police on 101 to report it - for more information, see our Harassment - advice and support page.

What if I rent my home?

As well as reporting this to the police, tell your landlord, housing officer or housing association. If you are unsure, contact us.

If the person harassing you lives in the same building, once you've reported this, your landlord, housing officer or housing association will warn them about possible tenancy agreement breaches and eviction.

You may receive extra support, including:

  • fitting locks
  • vandal-proof letterboxes
  • fences and lighting
  • installing alarms which might even be linked to your local police station

Help you stay in your home

We will do all we can to help you stay in your home - do not feel under any pressure in having to move. If you feel that rehousing is your only option, please speak to your landlord, housing officer or housing association. For further advice, contact us or see our Get help to avoid becoming homeless information.

Contact us
Housing Advice Line
03000 268 000