Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Credit licence

The Financial Conduct Authority is responsible for authorising businesses and individuals to carry out regulated financial service activities and offer credit to consumers.

Credit cards

Financial Services and Markets Act 2000

Under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, most businesses and individuals will need to be authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority if they:

  • provide goods and services on credit or for hire
  • lend money
  • introduce a consumer to a business providing a loan
  • provide debt collection
  • offer help with debt problems

If you plan to carry out any of the above activities you will first need to apply for Financial Conduct Authority authorisation.

Further information can be found on the Financial Conduct Authority website.

Contact us
Environment, Health and Consumer Protection
03000 261 016
Our address is:
  • Durham County Council
  • Environment, Health and Consumer Protect
  • PO Box 617
  • Durham
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH1 9HZ