Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Due to essential maintenance, the following systems will be unavailable from 6.00pm on Monday 2 October until 8.00am on Tuesday 3 October: our online council tax, business rates and housing benefit services, and our welfare assistance form. You will also not be able to register to pay council tax online, make a change of address for council tax or cancel single person discount. You are still able to make a payment during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Brexit - support for businesses

If you import or export goods to and from the European Union then you need to get ready for changes.

The latest government guidance to support businesses and the public, can be found at Brexit guidance

It provides advice on importing and exporting goods to and from the EU, moving goods to and from Northern Ireland and travelling, living and working in the EU.

The online questionnaire at Brexit guidance will help you identify what you need to do for the type of goods you import or export.

Imports and exports

For businesses that import and export goods and services make sure:

Product safety

The Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) has published guidance to help businesses comply with changed regulations, including issues such as the use of the UK Conformity Assessed (UKCA) marking. UK product safety and metrology


Hauliers should make sure to have the correct driver, vehicle licences and permits for driving in the EU, along with the correct documentation for the goods you're carrying across EU borders. See Check how to import and export for further information.


Employees practicing and serving clients in the EU may need to have their professional qualifications accredited and may have extra travel requirements. See the following for further information:

Intellectual property protection

The International Property Office has published guidance on trademarks, design, patents right law and IP rights after Brexit. See intellectual property and the transition period.

Data protection

For information on what action you need to take regarding data protection and data flows with the EU/EEA after the end of the transition period see Using personal data in your business or other organisation.

UK Government advice

Information from the UK government is available at:

National advice and support

There is also extensive information and support available from national organisations:

Local advice and support

You can also contact business support providers for advice too