Sustainable practice in early years settings
This theme will support settings to develop knowledge, skills and understanding around sustainable issues, embed changes into existing practice and support families to continue their children's understanding in the home environment.
Working in a more sustainable way will readily compliment, build on and bring together the other healthy setting themes.
If you pledge, this is what you are committing to do
- Identify and make realistic and appropriate changes around sustainable practices (with the aid of guidance tools).
- Teach, support and encourage staff and children to learn about looking after their environments and the wider world, and provide regular opportunities to do so.
- Share sustainable messages, involve and support families around your journey so that they can further their children's learning.
- Commit to engaging and working with external partners and agencies.
Training and resources
You can access the training and resources below to support you in achieving the pledge.
- Sign up to our single use plastics pledge
- Cut down your waste
- Reduce, reuse, recycle
- Recycle for County Durham on Facebook
- Recycling Empty Ink and Toner Cartridges
- Food Durham - Home of Durham Food Hub and Growing Durham community projects
- Cloth nappies
- Sustainable development goals
- Nurturing environmental awareness in children
- Nurturing children's biophilia
- Woodland Trust
- Ethical Early Years on Facebook
- County Durham Food Charter
- Early years
- 03000 268 917
Our address is:
- Early Years Workforce Development Team
- Children and Young People's Services
- County Hall
- County Durham
- DH1 5UJ