LGBT+ staff network
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT+) staff network is open to all staff in the council.
The group offers a supportive and welcoming environment to new and existing LGBT+ colleagues and allies.
We seek to influence and are consulted on new developments and changes to policy that affect LGBT+ staff.
The primary aim of LGBT+ staff group is to ensure lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and non-binary staff can discuss any issues which may affect them in a safe and confidential environment and to ensure equality issues are embedded and incorporated within the Council's policies, processes and procedures.
Our key areas of focus are:
- Assist in developing a culture of inclusion, helping to break down barriers and improve understanding.
- To help raise awareness and attempt to ensure equitable representation and distribution of support for members of the community and its allies.
- To source and secure training for both members of the network and staff from the wider council around LGBT+ issues.
- Human resources (HR) policies and procedures - the network aims to provide feedback on proposed HR policies and procedures, to help ensure they are as inclusive as possible.
- To exist as part of the wider DCC group of staff networks, who all share similar aims for various different communities and protected characteristics.
- Implementing a buddy system for staff who would find this beneficial.
We support various events throughout the year, including Durham Pride, LGBT History Month, Trans Remembrance Day, and International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia.
If you are thinking of applying for a role at the council and would like to know more about the group or working for the council contact us.
- Equality and Diversity
- 03000 268 019
Our address is:
- Room 4/139
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UF