Join our team
Our council is a fantastic place to work and this is only realised with a strong culture and committed, enthusiastic people. We want our workforce to truly reflect the communities that we are here to serve and want our workplaces to be the spaces where our people thrive.
We are committed to developing our people so we provide a broad range of formal and informal learning opportunities.
What you can expect from us
An introduction to our organisational vision, values and culture including policies, procedures and behavioural expectations.
Soft skills development
Support to develop the skills and competence to excel in your role including communication, personal effectiveness and time management.
Coaching and mentoring
Access to an internal coach or mentor to strengthen personal accountability and encourage goal identification and achievement.
Access to training or education to support continuous professional development.
A mix of formal and informal opportunities for reflection and personal development planning.
Aspiring Leaders Programme
Support and development for the leaders of the future.
Providing you with the right tools and ICT to do your job, a flexible and supportive organisation.
Health and wellbeing
Comprehensive health and wellbeing offer, programmes and support.
Ways to get involved
You may want to become one of our change champions.
What we expect from you
We are a values driven organisation, our values are our guiding principles and underpin the actions and behaviours of all members of staff. We believe our values ensure cohesion, collaboration and the collective achievement of organisational objectives.
This is what we expect from every one of our employees:
One council: Core values and behaviours
We work together to achieve the best for people.
- Contribute to council, service and team objectives.
- Try to find solutions to problems and issues.
- Make the best use of council resources.
- Share information and work effectively with others to get things done.
- Help people to access council services in different ways.
- Be flexible and use my skills to help and support others.
We put people and communities at the heart of everything we do and value our employees.
- Provide a customer focused service to people both internal and external.
- Respect and value differences.
- Achieve results within agreed timescales and keep people updated on progress.
- Actively listen so I understand people's needs.
- Communicate clearly and appropriately with others.
- Care about my own and others health, safety and wellbeing.
- Protect the confidentiality and security of information.
We value, trust and support each other.
- Take ownership and be accountable for my own actions and performance.
- Seek opportunities to learn and develop.
- Share my skills and knowledge with others.
- Act on feedback and learn from mistakes.
- Challenge inappropriate behaviour and attitudes.
- Show appreciation and give praise and recognition to others.
- Influence others through my positive behaviours.
We embrace change and look for better ways to deliver services.
- Identify better and more effective ways to deliver services.
- Be prepared to take on new challenges.
- Adapt smarter working practices and new ways of working.
- Think creatively and share ideas for improvement.
- Be open to change.
- Customer Services
- 03000 26 0000
Our address is:
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ