Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Following a steep rise in cases across the region, the whole of the North East has been named as an area that will receive additional support. You can read the latest statement from LA7 leaders. There are no additional restrictions on the area or residents but with cases of Covid higher than ever before everyone is asked to continue to act carefully and responsibly. Further information will be provided as it becomes available. See Covid-19 advice and information for advice on how to stay safe. Thank you for playing your part in helping to keep the North East open and protect others.

Tell us you've moved house or had a change in circumstances

If you move house or if anything changes that may affect how much council tax you pay or discounts you receive, you must tell us as soon as possible.


If you're currently struggling to pay your bills, please see our financial support during Coronavirus outbreak information.

If you move home

If you have moved into County Durham, you will need to register to pay council tax. If you have already registered, but are moving to another house, you will need to tell us about a change in address.

If you claim housing benefit or Council Tax Reduction, see how to Report changes affecting your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction. Also see Let us help you with moving for key information for anyone moving house.

Apply for money off your bill

In some cases you may be entitled to get money off your council tax bill, for example if your income reduces, if you have to leave your property empty or if you are living on your own. 

This includes single adults, empty properties, students, second homes, carers, people with disabilities and other circumstances.

Cancel a discount on your bill

If you receive a discount on your bill, you must contact us to let us know when your circumstances change within 21 days. You may receive a fine if you claim a discount or exemption that you are no longer entitled to.

You can cancel a single person discount online.

Council Tax Reduction

If you claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, see how to Report changes affecting your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

When someone dies

When you register a death, our registrar will help you to tell the people who need to know. If you have further questions, please contact us

Contact us
Customer Services
03000 26 0000
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page