Get your care needs assessed
You may need help in your daily life because you're elderly and/or you have an illness or disability.
To help you find the right care and support, you can:
- Visit our Locate - care and support in County Durham website. You can browse the site to find a range of information and advice including organisations to help you live as independently as you can.
- Contact Social Care Direct, where you will speak to a trained contact officer. They will ask you some questions about your situation and help guide you to help and support, and let you know if you are eligible for care and support from us.
Eligibility for care and support from us
The national eligibility criteria set a minimum threshold for adult care and support. The following information may help you understand eligibility for care and support.:
- Eligibility criteria for adults with care and support needs
- Eligibility criteria for carers with support needs
If you're not eligible
If your assessment shows that you are not eligible for support we can support you to find local services and organisations who may be able to help you.
You may be eligible for financial support via Durham County Council to pay towards the cost of your care, however this will depend on the level of care you require and how much you can afford to pay. If you want to apply for help with the cost, you'll need to complete a financial assessment (means test).
Find out more about paying for your care and support.
If you are a carer over the age of 18 years old and looking after someone who is elderly, ill or disabled then you can get your needs assessed to help you get support for your caring role.
- First Contact/Social Care Direct
- 03000 267 979
- 0191 383 5752