Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Due to essential maintenance, the following systems will be unavailable from 6.00pm on Monday 2 October until 8.00am on Tuesday 3 October: our online council tax, business rates and housing benefit services, and our welfare assistance form. You will also not be able to register to pay council tax online, make a change of address for council tax or cancel single person discount. You are still able to make a payment during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Apply to vote by proxy

Voting by proxy is a convenient way of voting if you are unable to get to the polling station. By proxy means that you appoint someone you trust to vote on your behalf.

You can apply for a proxy vote if you are unable to go to your polling station on an election or referendum day. You must:

  • be registered to vote
  • appoint someone as a proxy who is also registered to vote

Please contact Electoral Services on 03000 261 212 to apply to vote by proxy.

Remember there is always a deadline for receipt of proxy applications in time for an election. This deadline will be advertised closer to the election date but you are strongly advised to complete and send in your application early. Don't wait until the election date is known.

Emergency proxy voting

Medical emergency

If you have a medical emergency six working days or less before the election, you can apply for an emergency proxy vote up until 5.00pm on polling day. Your application to vote by proxy must be supported by a doctor, registered state nurse, or Christian science practitioner, who must sign your application.

Employment reasons

If you are not able to attend the polling station in person for reasons relating to your occupation or employment, and you only become aware of this after 5.00pm on the sixth working day before an election, you can apply to vote by emergency proxy up until 5.00pm on election day.

  • If you are self-employed, your application must be supported by a person aged 18 years or over who knows you and is not your spouse, civil partner, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, child or grandchild.
  • If you are a member of the armed forces, a Crown servant, a British Council employee or the spouse or civil partner of one of these, and you are registered as a service voter, you do not need support for your application.
  • If you are registered as an ordinary elector, you will need support from your employer or another authorised person at your workplace.

Please contact us if you wish to apply for an emergency proxy vote.

Contact us
Electoral Services
03000 261 212
Our address is:
  • Durham County Council
  • County Hall
  • Durham
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH1 5UL