Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

There is currently a problem with our image galleries. We are working to get them fixed. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

What to do if your drink is spiked

To spike a drink means to put alcohol or drugs into someone's drink without their knowledge or permission. Drink spiking can occur anywhere drinks are served (such as at nightclubs, parties, pubs, restaurants and private homes).

If you think you've been spiked...

  • tell someone
  • get help
  • stay with your friends and keep safe

Call 999 if...

  • you need urgent medical assistance
  • you've just been spiked or seen a spiking, and the person who did it is still nearby

Non-emergency contacts

  • Call 101 for non-urgent police support where you have information that may relate to an incident of spiking, but there is no urgent medical need.
  • Call the NHS on 111 for medical advice if you believe that you may have been spiked and feel unwell, but you do not need urgent medical assistance.

Where to go for help in Durham City

During your night out, you can get help straight away at The Durham City Night Hub. The staff there can offer practical and emotional support including first aid and testing. 

The Durham City Night Hub

  • Where: St Nicholas' Church is in Durham Market Place, What3Words location: ///nails.loyal.skill
  • When: it's open every Friday and Saturday night until 3.00am. During university term time it is open every Wednesday, usually until 3.00am, but may close earlier on quiet nights.

Getting tested if you think you've been spiked

Ideally this should be done as soon as possible after you've been spiked.

Testing can be done at the Durham City Night Hub or by the County Durham Drug and Alcohol Recovery Service (CDDARS).

County Durham Drug and Alcohol Recovery Service (CDDARS)

The CDDARS service is free, confidential and nobody will judge you. They are there to test you and offer information and advice to support you. You can take someone you trust with you as well, like a friend or family member.

When: The testing service is open Monday to Friday between 9.00am and 5.00pm, but outside these times, you can leave a message and someone will get back to you. To book an appointment call 03000 266 666 or email

Spiking and sexual violence

If you have been sexually assaulted or raped and think this may have happened after being spiked, you can get support and testing through the Police.

Share this page

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Twitter