Voter ID Requirements from May 2023
The next scheduled elections to take place in County Durham are in May 2024. However, from May 2023 voters who wish to vote in person (including those acting as proxy), will be required to bring an accepted form of photo ID to the polling station to prove their identity before being issued with a ballot paper.
What forms of photo ID can I use to vote?
You may already have an acceptable form of photo ID, as you can use any of the following examples:
- Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or Commonwealth country.
- Photographic driving licence issued by the UK, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (including provisional driving licence)
- European Economic Area (EEA) photographic ID card
- UK Biometric Residence Permit
- Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standard Scheme hologram (PASS card)
- Defence identity card
- Blue badge
A full list of acceptable photo ID can be found of the government website.
Expired photo ID can also be used if you are still recognisable from the photo.
Only original documents are acceptable; scanned images, photocopies or pictures on a device such as a mobile phone will not be accepted.
If you do not have an acceptable form of photo ID
If you do not have an accepted form of photo ID, you can apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate for the purpose of voting. You can apply for this at Apply for free voter ID
If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or you would like to request a paper application form, please contact us.
Postal and Proxy voters
Postal voters will not be affected and will be issued with their postal ballot papers as usual.
If you choose to vote by proxy then the person who you have trusted to vote on your behalf will have to take their own identification to be issued with a ballot paper.
- Electoral Services
- 03000 261 212
Our address is:
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UL