Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

We continue to be here to support care leavers and there will always be someone you can contact to offer advice, help and support on 03000 262 271. 

Living on your own (care leavers)

We know it can be very hard having your own place for the first time and we will support you the best we can to make that easier for you and ease some of the pressures.

What help will I get?

Once you are ready to live on your own, your Young Person's Advisor (YPA) will: 

  • help you to apply for your own home through Durham Key Options.
  • make sure you are given priority when bidding for houses / flats. 
  • help you to claim for Universal Credit and other benefits so that you can pay your rent.
  • help you to apply for council tax reductions.
  • help you to manage your home, pay bills and deal with repairs.
  • help you to access a grant from Welfare Assistance and a Setting Up Home Allowance (£2,000) so you can buy items you need to set up your home. 
  • give you practical support to move into and furnish your home.
  • help you to develop your independent living skills with training from the National Open College Network.
  • help you if you are at risk of losing your home.




Contact us
Young People's Service
03000 262 289
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page