Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Apply for an older person's bus pass

If you live in County Durham and have reached pension age, you can apply for your older person's bus pass. This gives you free travel on buses anywhere in England and half fares on some local trains.

If your Durham County Council issued bus pass for the England national concessionary travel scheme (ENCTS) expires on 30 June, we will automatically send you a new one. However, if your address or name has changed since you received your current pass, please Contact Transport Services.

If your details have not changed there is no need to do anything.

When you can apply for your bus pass

You will qualify for your bus pass when you reach state pension age. You can submit your application for your pass up to two weeks before the birthday at which you reach state pension age.

What you need to apply

You will need:

  • proof that you live in County Durham, such as a copy of a bank statement, utility bill or council tax letter
  • proof of your age, such as a copy of a birth certificate, driving licence, passport or pension book
  • a passport sized photograph

Apply for a bus pass

Your new pass will be posted to you as quickly as possible.

What you can use your pass for

Your pass entitles you to:

  • Free travel on all standard bus services in England after 9.30am on Monday to Friday and all day Saturday, Sunday and public holidays. Special night-time services and other special services may be excluded.
  • Before 9.30am on Monday to Friday:
    • travel for 50p when you get on at a stop within the boundary of Durham County Council 
    • ordinary fares normally apply when you get on anywhere else
  • Travel on Durham City Park and Ride.
  • Half-price travel on certain local train services:
    • Chester-le-Street, Seaham or Horden to/from Newcastle or Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
    • Bishop Auckland, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe or Heighington to/from Middlesbrough (and any station in between)

Replacing an existing bus pass

If your pass is lost or stolen, or you have changed address, you can ask for a replacement bus pass.

Share this page

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Twitter