Apply for an older person's bus pass
If you live in County Durham and have reached pension age, you can apply for your older person's bus pass. This gives you free travel on buses anywhere in England and half fares on some local trains.
If your bus pass expires on 30 June 2021, your replacement pass will be sent out before that date. You only need to contact us if you have moved house in the last five years (ie since your current pass was issued) to make sure we have the correct details. You can use your new pass as soon as you receive it.
If your bus pass expires on 30 June 2021, your replacement pass will be sent out before that date.
You only need to contact us if you have moved house in the last five years (ie since your current pass was issued) to make sure we have the correct details.
You can use your new pass as soon as you receive it.
When you can apply for your bus pass
When you can get your pass depends on when you were born.
If you were born before 6 October 1954, you will get your pass when you apply. If you were born on or after 6 October 1954, you will get your pass on your 66th birthday.
What you need to apply
You will need:
- proof that you live in County Durham, such as a copy of a bank statement, utility bill or council tax letter
- proof of your age, such as a copy of a birth certificate, driving licence, passport or pension book
- a passport sized photograph
Apply for a bus pass
- By post: Download, print and complete and send it to the address on the form along with your supporting documents.
- Online: Scan or take a photo of your form and supporting documents on a smartphone/mobile device. You can then upload the form and documents using our document submission form. You must include your application form, your evidence and your photograph otherwise we will be unable to process your application.
Your new pass will be posted to you as quickly as possible.
What you can use your pass for
Your pass entitles you to:
- free travel on all bus services in England
- between 9.30am and 11.00pm, Monday to Friday
- all day Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays (certain special night-time services are excluded)
- travel for 50p on journeys where you use a local bus (in County Durham)
- before 9.30am, Monday to Friday
- free travel on Durham City Park and Ride
- half price fares travel on certain local train services:
- Chester-le-Street or Seaham to/from Newcastle or Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
- Bishop Auckland, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe or Heighington to/from Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
Replacing an existing bus pass
If your pass is lost or stolen, or you have changed address, you can ask for a replacement bus pass.
- Passenger Transport
- Passenger Transport
- 03000 268 667
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ