Apply for an older person's bus pass
If you live in County Durham and have reached pension age, you can apply for your older person's bus pass. This gives you free travel on buses anywhere in England and half fares on some local trains.
If your bus pass has an expiry date of 30 June 2022, we will replace it automatically a week or so before that date.
You only need to contact us if you no longer need the pass or if you have changed address in the last five years since your current pass was issued and you have not previously advised us of this.
When you can apply for your bus pass
You will qualify for your bus pass when you reach state pension age. You can submit your application for your pass up to two weeks before the birthday at which you reach state pension age.
What you need to apply
You will need:
- proof that you live in County Durham, such as a copy of a bank statement, utility bill or council tax letter
- proof of your age, such as a copy of a birth certificate, driving licence, passport or pension book
- a passport sized photograph
Apply for a bus pass
- By post: Download, print and complete and send it to the address on the form along with your supporting documents.
- Online: Scan or take a photo of your form and supporting documents on a smartphone/mobile device. You can then upload the form and documents using our document submission form. You must include your application form, your evidence and your photograph otherwise we will be unable to process your application.
Your new pass will be posted to you as quickly as possible.
What you can use your pass for
Your pass entitles you to:
- free travel on all bus services in England
- between 9.30am and 11.00pm, Monday to Friday
- all day Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays (certain special night-time services are excluded)
- travel for 50p on journeys where you use a local bus (in County Durham)
- before 9.30am, Monday to Friday
- free travel on Durham City Park and Ride
- half price fares travel on certain local train services:
- Chester-le-Street or Seaham to/from Newcastle or Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
- Bishop Auckland, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe or Heighington to/from Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
Replacing an existing bus pass
If your pass is lost or stolen, or you have changed address, you can ask for a replacement bus pass.
- Passenger Transport
- Passenger Transport
- 03000 268 667
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ