Council tax hardship relief
In some cases, where you are struggling with your bill, we may be able to temporarily reduce the amount you pay.
To apply for council tax hardship relief, download and complete our. Return it along with any supporting evidence to the address on the form.
We will give you a decision within 21 days of receiving your request.
Do I qualify?
We consider each application individually depending on the circumstances. Amongst other things, you will need to show that:
- you are undergoing severe hardship
- there are special circumstances which are stopping you from paying
- you have already taken reasonable steps to resolve the situation
- you do not have any other assets that could be used to pay your Council Tax
- you have applied for all other discounts and reductions you are entitled to
- you have tried to sell or let your property if it's unoccupied
What happens next?
If you're granted hardship relief, this will only be short term and will not extend beyond the current financial year.
What happens if you disagree with the decision?
Although the law does not grant you a right of appeal we will accept a request to look again at the decision we made. We will consider any additional evidence you provide and will let you know if we have changed our decision within 21 days of receiving your request.