Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Due to essential maintenance, the following systems will be unavailable from 6.00pm on Monday 2 October until 8.00am on Tuesday 3 October: our online council tax, business rates and housing benefit services, and our welfare assistance form. You will also not be able to register to pay council tax online, make a change of address for council tax or cancel single person discount. You are still able to make a payment during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Accommodation - choosing somewhere to live

If someone needs care and support to maintain their health and welfare, it may not be an option to live independently. Find details of different accommodation options such as nursing and care homes, sheltered housing and what you need to do to access them.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is provided for people over the age of 60 to help them lead an independent life. It is usually a collection of flats and bungalows linked by an intercom system to a resident warden. In schemes where there is no warden, the properties are linked to a control centre. Your local housing association can provide details of schemes in your area.

Residential or care homes

Care homes provide personal care and support including meals and help with washing and dressing. If you cannot fund your own care and you think you need residential care, you will need an assessment by a social worker. Find details of care homes on our Locate - care and support in County Durham website.

Nursing homes

Nursing homes are similar to care homes but also provide 24 hour professional nursing care. If you cannot fund your own care and think you need nursing care, you will need an assessment by a social worker and a registered nurse. Your social worker will help you find a nursing home which meets your care needs. Find details of nursing homes on our Locate - care and support in County Durham website.

Extra Care housing

Extra Care offers an alternative to moving into a care home. If you're eligible, you can have your own flat, in a specially designed housing complex, with 24 hour care and support on site. You will have a tenancy agreement and will need to contribute towards your care costs. Find details of Extra Care housing on our Locate - care and support in County Durham website.

See Extra Care for further information.

Housing for adults with learning disabilities

Shared Lives scheme

The Shared Lives Providers scheme offers short-term, long-term or emergency care by people known as shared lives providers. It provides a safe home for the individual involved, protects their rights and independence and can encourage the development of new skills.

Supported living

Supported living, sometimes called supported housing, offers adults with a disability an alternative to moving into a care home. If you're eligible, you'll be given accommodation with on-site care and support, including personal care, which is let to you as part of a tenancy agreement with a housing provider.

Contact us
Social Care Direct
03000 267 979
0191 383 5752
Related information