Rewards and benefits
We want to be sure that every member of staff feels valued and rewarded for their individual contribution, we also want to be an employer of choice and attract top talent from across the region.
Our benefits package is comprehensive and includes flexible working arrangements to support the wellbeing of our people.
- 26 days holidays per year increasing to 31 after five years continuous local government service.
- Option to purchase up to 10 additional days annual leave per year through our salary sacrifice scheme.
- Bank holidays.
- Flexible working hours (core hours, minimum working day, credit / debit arrangements, up to 13 additional flexi days per year).
- Hybrid working.
- Contributory career average salary pension scheme.
- Trade Union membership.
- Discounted gym membership.
- Employee Assist Scheme.
Health and wellbeing
Wellbeing is defined as feeling good and functioning well physically, mentally, and socially. We all experience a sense of wellbeing differently and as an employer, we want to support every member of staff to feel and function at their best.
Our package of initiatives and opportunities includes:
- Wellbeing Portal with information, advice and support on a wide range of health topics.
- Eye tests for VDU users.
- Occupational Health Services.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
- Mental Health First Aiders.
Inclusion and diversity
We have established several groups to enable our employees and their allies to meet, share ideas and raise awareness. These include:
- Disability and allies' staff network.
- LGBT+ and allies' staff network.
- Working carers peer support group.
- Black and minority ethnic workers staff network.
Learning and development
An excellent and broad range of learning and development opportunities are available to all staff to ensure your personal and professional development is supported. You can expect:
- comprehensive induction
- access to e-learning
- an annual performance appraisal
- access to professional qualifications
- coaching and mentoring
We have a generous annual leave entitlement starting at 26 days per year, this increases to 31 days per year after 5 years continuous government service, this is in addition to bank holidays. There is also the option to purchase up to 10 additional days leave per year through our salary sacrifice scheme.
As a family friendly employer, we can see how flexible working helps our staff with their work-life balance.
Many of our roles offer flexible working between the hours of 7.30am and 7.00pm. This flexibility can give more freedom to arrange your working day to best meet our customers' needs, it also enables you to accrue up to 13 days flexi leave per year.
All our full-time vacancies are open to job share unless stated, we also offer a range of part time and other flexible working options including:
- home working
- job sharing
- part-time working
- flexible retirement
Smarter / hybrid working
We want to enable our staff to carry out their role in the smartest and most efficient way possible. Smarter working includes working in different places where the work requires or using new equipment or ICT to enable you to do your job more efficiently.
As a council we have many different work styles and opportunities to work smarter whilst ensuring we are:
- meeting the needs of our residents
- meeting the needs of the organisation
- providing work life balance to our employees
The council has adopted a temporary hybrid working model for the majority of office-based employees. For most office roles, this will be split time between the workplace and working remotely. Meeting the needs of our residents, customers and the organisation will always remain the priority when deciding where, when and how our staff carry out their roles.
We also have plans for modernisation of our offices and workplaces, promoting more use of technology to ensure we are working in the most efficient way possible as well as considering new and more modern ways of delivering services.
We recognise the value of a healthy work-life balance and as an employer we are firmly committed to ensuring all our employees are able to balance work and life commitments.
Our salaries are competitive and based upon the nature and level of the role you undertake. Our pay scales are incremental so you can expect to receive an annual increase until you reach the top of your pay scale.
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
Staff are entitled to join the LGPS, further information can be found on the Thinking of Joining page on the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) website.
- Travel loan scheme.
- Car salary sacrifice scheme.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Discounted gym membership.
- Retail discounts.
Better Health at Work - Continuing Excellence.
- Customer Services
- Customer Services
- 03000 26 0000
Our address is:
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ