Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Recycling centres disposal and permits information

Find out what you can recycle, size restrictions and how to apply for a permit.

Our centres are for our residents only

Please be aware that only those residents living in the Durham County Council area are permitted to use our household waste recycling centres. You may be asked to produce proof of address when visiting.

County Durham residents are not permitted to use recycling centres in bordering counties and so this new guidance brings us in line with other local councils.

There are exceptions such as those who are taking rubbish for family members who live in the Durham County Council area. Please contact us if you think you are exempt.

What you can dispose of at a recycling centre

Household waste

Recycling centres are for household waste only. You can take the following items to all of our recycling centres:

  • soil and rubble
  • wood and plasterboard
  • garden waste
  • scrap metal
  • gas bottles
  • waste oil and car batteries
  • tyres (maximum of 5 tyres)
  • household batteries
  • TV's and monitors
  • fridges and electrical appliances
  • fluorescent light tubes
  • paper and cardboard ( only wrapping paper and card without foil and glitter can be recycled)
  • cans and glass
  • plastics and cartons
  • textiles and shoes
  • cooking oil
  • general waste and carpets (accepted on site, but not separated for recycling)
  • asbestos, household and garden chemicals (permit required)

Cat litter, human and animal poo: this must be double bagged, sealed and separate from other rubbish for health and safety reasons, or we can't accept it. You must tell staff if you have this waste and they will direct you where to put it.

Staff on site may ask you about the type and quantity of waste you are disposing of if they think it could be business or landlord waste.

Hazardous waste

You can take chemicals (eg bleach), gloss or lead based paints or sprays, or asbestos to Annfield Plain, Horden, Romanway and Tudhoe recycling centres. Before you set off you must apply for a waste permit for household hazardous waste.

Waste from allotments

Waste from allotments is classed as commercial waste which means it is illegal to dispose of it at a Household Waste Recycling Centre (tip). See Commercial and trade waste services we offer for more information.

Business and landlord waste

It is against the law for waste from businesses and landlords to be disposed of at a recycling centre. See Commercial and trade waste services we offer to see how you can dispose of your waste.

Visiting the site

Only certain types of vehicles can enter a Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC).

Type of vehicle/trailerIs a permit needed for access?
Domestic vehicle (family car, estate car, MPV)No
People carrier or 4x4 with windows and seats in the backNo
Any vehicle with 9 to 16 seatsYes
Trailer smaller than 3 metres (9 feet 10 inches) including the hitchYes
Car style pick-upYes

Vehicles not allowed at our sites

  • livestock carrying vehicles or agricultural vehicles
  • vehicles with a flat bed
  • trailers greater than 3 metres long (9 feet 10 inches) including the hitch
  • vehicles greater than 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight (GVW)
  • vehicles longer than 6 metres (19 feet 8 inches)
  • any vehicle with commercial or trade waste

Do you need a permit?

There are some instances where you will need a permit:

Personal data

HWRCs do not offer secure data removal or confidentiality of data, therefore it is your responsibility to ensure your data is removed before depositing any item for recycling or reuse. Items include electronic and mobile devices as well as paper documents.