Apply for a garden and household waste permit
If you visit a Household Waste Recycling Centre (tip) with a van, pickup, minibus or you are towing a trailer you need a waste permit.
Apply for a waste permit online. A QR code will be sent to you which will be scanned at the tip from your mobile device or from a printout. You will need to download a new permit for each visit. If you are printing your permit, please print A4 and in black and white.
Your application will be delayed if you do not complete it in full. Straightforward applications, where we have no queries, should come through to your mobile device instantly.
You can also contact us if you prefer a paper copy. You will not get a permit straight away if you do this.
How to use your waste permit
A single waste permit is required per visit, which you download and show to a member of staff when you arrive. Permits are free, and you can apply for up to 12 permits a year - this resets at the end of December each year, when any permits you have will expire. The details of the waste on your permit must match what you bring.
There are two types of household waste:
- garden and household waste (including leaves, pruning, grass cuttings, branches, trees)
- household hazardous waste (there are special rules for hazardous waste and only some of our sites accept it. Find out more about what you need a Apply for a waste permit for household hazardous waste permit for, which sites accept this waste and how to apply.)
An individual permit can include multiple items of hazardous, garden or mixed waste, but you must use a tip that can accept hazardous waste if you include it.
Permits are for County Durham residents only.
See our Recycling centres (tips) page for more information about where they are and when they are open.
Visiting the site
Only certain types of vehicles can enter a Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC).
|Type of vehicle/trailer||Is a permit needed for access?|
|Domestic vehicle (family car, estate car, MPV)||No|
|People carrier/4 x 4 with windows and seats in the back||No|
|Any vehicle with 9-16 seats||Yes|
|Trailer smaller than 9ft 10 (3m)||Yes|
|Car style pick-up||Yes|
When you apply online, you must enter an accepted vehicle type to be able to apply for a permit.
- A maximum limit of one tonne of waste applies to each permit.
- The person whose name and address is on the permit should be present at the HWRC, even if someone else is driving. You may be asked for ID such as a driving licence or bank card.
- There is no pedestrian access to HWRCs.
- Customer Services
- Customer Services
- 03000 26 0000