Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

The following systems will be unavailable from 2.00pm on Thursday 29 February until 7.30am on Tuesday 5 March: our online Council Tax, business rates and housing benefit services, and our welfare assistance form. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you're of working age and think you may be eligible for help with your rent, you must apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit. Please note that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for Universal Credit.

Appeal against a Housing Benefit decision

If you disagree with a decision we make about your Housing Benefit claim, you must let us know within a month of getting your decision letter.

Write to us within one month

If you disagree with a decision we make about your Housing Benefit claim, you should write to us within one calendar month of the date of your decision letter and ask us to reconsider the decision.

You should also set out why you think that the decision is wrong.

We will then review the decision and respond to your request, either confirming or amending the original decision.

What if you still disagree?

If you still disagree with our decision you can then make an appeal to the HM Courts and Tribunals Service which is an independent body. You should not contact the Tribunals Service directly. 

Please write to us explaining why you are making an appeal against our decision and we will forward it to them. You must:

  • set out the reasons why you think the decision is wrong
  • sign the letter

This is so that Tribunals Service know that we have already considered your claim.

The Tribunals Service will contact you directly to let you know what they will do next.

Get advice

If you need independent advice, you can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or get Benefits advice or help with a benefits appeal from our Welfare Rights service.

Contact us
03000 26 2000
Our address is:
  • Transactional and Customer Services
  • PO Box 238
  • Stanley
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH8 1FP

Welfare Rights
03000 268 968
Our address is:
  • Revenues and Benefits
  • PO Box 254
  • Stanley
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH8 1GG