Register a birth
Information about registering a new birth.
While we are preparing our register offices to re-open we have set up a temporary drive-thru service at Aykley Heads House register office so that you can register your child's birth.
If you're not able to register the birth of your child because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you can still make a claim to receive Child Benefit. See Gov.uk: Claim Child Benefit for more information.
How to register a birth
To register a birth with us, your child must have been born in County Durham. If your child was not born in County Durham, contact the register office where the birth took place to make an appointment.
Make an appointment
To make an appointment you need to email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us:
- the date of your baby's birth
- the mother's name
- your telephone number
We will then contact you to make an appointment.
If you have already contacted us and provided us with your details, then you do not need to contact us again - we will be contacting you to make you an appointment to register the birth.
What happens at the appointment
On the day of your appointment:
- You will be asked to park in an allocated parking space and stay in your car.
- We will call your mobile and take all the information we need, including payment.
- We will complete the birth certificate.
- When the certificate is ready you will be invited into the foyer to sign the papers and collect your certificate.