Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham


The Motability scheme helps people who are getting the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or the enhanced mobility component of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) to use their benefit to lease a vehicle.

You need to have at least 12 months left to run on your award of mobility component. 

You are also eligible for the Motability scheme if you receive the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement or the Armed Forces Independence Payment.

You can lease a car, wheelchair accessible vehicle, power scooter or wheelchair through the Motability scheme. If you use the scheme the Department for Work and Pensions pays all or part of your mobility component direct to Motability Operations on your behalf. This does not affect the care component or daily living component which you continue to receive.

Parents of children and carers of disabled people who do not drive can apply to join the scheme and use the vehicle for the benefit of the disabled person.

How to pay for a vehicle

Your Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment mobility component will be paid to Motability Operations Ltd for the period of the lease agreement.

Any extra costs for a more expensive vehicle or costs such as getting the vehicle extensively adapted have to be paid at the start of the agreement (this is called an 'Advance Payment'). 

Some smaller cars are available for less than the full amount of your benefit, and if you choose one of these you will receive the balance of your benefit.

Repairs, insurance, servicing, and maintenance are provided free, but it is your responsibility to arrange for the servicing and repair of your car. You are also responsible for keeping your car in good condition apart from fair wear and tear.

Transferring from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment

If you transfer from the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance to the enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), your Motability lease will continue unbroken. If you are not awarded the mobility component of PIP, your agreement will end, and Motability will contact you about returning the vehicle. You may qualify for a payment as part of a 'transitional support package' if this happens. 

Contacting Motability

For more information visit Motability or phone 0300 456 4566.

Exemption from Vehicle Excise Duty (Road Tax)

You can get a full exemption from Vehicle Excise Duty if you get the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or the enhanced mobility component of Personal Independence Payment and the car is used for the purpose of the disabled person.

If you get the standard rate of the mobility component of PIP you are eligible for a 50% discount on your Vehicle Excise Duty. You can claim the exemption when you apply for a tax disc.

Blue Badge Scheme

A Blue Badge parking permit is available for car drivers and passengers with severe mobility problems, as well as those who have difficulty walking, people who are registered blind, or those who need essential medical equipment nearby which is too heavy to carry around.

Contact us
Welfare Rights
03000 268 968
Our address is:
  • Revenues and Benefits
  • PO Box 254
  • Stanley
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH8 1GG